Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blog Post #2

The best thing to hear in a movie theater is someone screaming because something scary came on the screen. Many horror films these days use the supernatural to try to scare their viewers, but to me I do not think that using the supernatural is very scary. I used to believe in ghosts and the boogie man but I do not believe in those kinds of supernatural anymore. I am not sure what it is that i do not like about the supernatural, but it just is not very scary to me. One of the reasons i might not think that the supernatural is scary is because I am in the theater program and i have watched many horror films. I can depict what is real and what is not on the movie screen. For example, if a door just opens on its own, the first thing i think about is how they made that door open by itself. The door was either opened by an unseen person or it could have been electronic or opened by a pulley system. I do not think that ghosts really opened a door or made any scary sounds. Another reason why i do not believe in the supernatural could be my outlook on religion, since religion, mostly catholic form of religion, has to do with afterlife and spirits. My beliefs toward religion are pretty much non existent, i believe myself to be a scientist, not a worshiper. So not believing in an afterlife with spirits and ghosts could be why i do not believe in the supernatural. There could be a supernatural but there is no proof that shows me that there is a supernatural in our world. My story about how i came to believe that there is no supernatural is as follows. When i was little, my sister would try to scare me by saying our house was haunted or say she heard sounds and things moving and i would believe her. She would make me watch all of the classic horror films that kids would watch and i would be scared of them. After watching all of those movies and when i grew older my common sense came into play and i stopped believing in all of the supernatural and just said to myself that it was just my mind. Then i would watch horror movies all of the time for fun and figure out how they made things appear and move on the screen. Nothing to me is more fun than watching horror movies. Also, listening to all of the other people scream when things pop out at you or move since i know that none of the stuff on the movie screen is real. I sit there and think about how the director made things on the screen move of pop out while all the other movie watchers scream in terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment